Friday, November 13, 2015

My project: And finance tracking :D Intent- to have Brenna pulling buggy to visit chickens and feed store and let Dale enjoy horses longer. Bonus horse drawn transport when car unavailible/ broken (Let's face it, it will happen). Discarded Amish buggy with some issues $300......... lets see where this goes
Step 1- assess (sides are listed as if sitting in the cart driving) *Needs new tires (left front is missing), and wheels generally checked for safety *Shattered glass in right mirror- replace glass, or mirror whatever is cheaper *needs small tears repaired in back canvas *Brakes not completely functional- either more brake fluid, lube, new brake shoes or new brakes- I think (will ask mechanic) *Fifth wheel could use a sand, grease and paint, BUT is functional (woot) *right door is broken on bottom, either replace wood on bottom and sides and trim holding in canvas or replace all wood on door (evidence of being previously mended doesn't make me real confident in the integrity of that door) *Roof trim (functional actually helps hold roof canvas on) broken in front, needs replaced *Right window in storm front cracked and removed (will replace with plexi as I have it and am cheap :D) *Pretty much all of it needs a sand and repaint * Battery clamps need cleaned of rust or replaced, for that matter I need a battery * wire into headlight needs spliced and put back Step 2- ask people that know what they are doing a bajillion questions so I don't screw up (thank you facebook!) Bought auto mirror and used a glass cutter to cut to size, glued in with super glue........ then girls at barn break other mirror off the frame....... yay repair... add another to the list lol List now * put left mirror back on *Needs new tires (left front is missing), and wheels generally checked for safety *needs small tears repaired in back canvas *Brakes not completely functional- either more brake fluid, lube, new brake shoes or new brakes- I think (will ask mechanic) *Fifth wheel could use a sand, grease and paint, BUT is functional (woot) *right door is broken on bottom, either replace wood on bottom and sides and trim holding in canvas or replace all wood on door (evidence of being previously mended doesn't make me real confident in the integrity of that door) *Roof trim (functional actually helps hold roof canvas on) broken in front, needs replaced *Right window in storm front cracked and removed (will replace with plexi as I have it and am cheap :D) *Pretty much all of it needs a sand and repaint * Battery clamps need cleaned of rust or replaced, for that matter I need a battery * wire into headlight needs spliced and put back Used the jack that came with my car to jack up the carriage (big chunk of wood under it)- No I don't recommend it but it got the job done! with a lot of forum help/ giving up on finesse used violence to get hub cap off left front wheel
Before hub cap off, after, bearing behind the castle nut with the cotter pin. YAY wheel is off!!!!!!!!! Now to sand the tar out of it because SOMEONE decided letting a cart sit in the rain with no protection was a great idea........ hello rust, funny seeing you here!
Bare axel, before scrub, after scrub..... yes my kitchen is being taken over by buggy wheels........... that's normal right? Oh for scrub I used a potato (works great as a scrubber and has natural acid that helps break down rust, stick a rusty knife in one and forget about it for a while........ it is a cool trick) dipped in baking soda to scrub (hard- one wheel took about an hour to clean) Then follow with a wire brush dipped in vinegar (yes i am seriously overkill) Then wipe down with damp cloth to remove any residual acid, then a dry cloth because no i am not doing this again if I can help it) Put PV blaster on the brake pedal it doesn't stick keeps pressure and stops a freewheeling tire solid...... woot! MAYBE I don't have to replace the brakes! Jacked up the carriage and got it all up on sawhorses because there is no way I am ripping/ crushing my brake lines. Also i don't want to die under it ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment